Lower Sabie Camp
Known for being in the heart of the best game viewing in the Park, as well as having the best lookout deck, Lower Sabie camp is situated on the lower portion of the Sabi River as the name suggests. With endless views along the river, the camp offers guests an opportunity all year round to see many of the parks animals from the comfort of a camp bench. The Camp is surrounded by mixed woodland with sweet grazing as a result of the nutrient dense soils. The underlying geology of the area is basalt that offers very loamy soils which the herbivores love. Large herds are attracted as a result with the far eastern corner near Mlondozi renowned for having the largest herd of buffalo in the Park.
Lowers Sabie offers some of the best Big 5 viewing in the Park because of its location along the perennial Sabi River. There is also excellent birding both in the camp and the surrounding savanna. The Camp is filled with large old Sycamore Figs, Marula's and Natal Mahogany trees.
Lower Sabie camp is built on the site of the original rangers out post and has long been regarded as one of the best locations in the Park. That said its popularity can also cause a few traffic jams as it connect directly to Skukuza camp which is roughly 43km north along the river.
Key Mammal species in this area include :
Key Bird species in this area include :
- African Fish Eagle
- Black Crake
- Malachite Kingfisher
- Saddle-billed Stork
- Martial Eagle
The Camp Accommodation :
- 33 x tent or caravan sites, with power point. Communal ablutions and cooking facilities. (24-hour boiling water, electric hotplates and washing up facilities) Maximum of 6 persons per site.
- 1, 2, 3 or 5-bed units (4 x 1-bed huts and 26 x multi-bed huts) with communal ablutions and communal kitchen. The units have fridges and air-conditioning but there are no cooking utensils, crockery or cutlery. A communal kitchen with scullery and electric stoves is available.
- 24 x 2-bed permanent furnished canvas tents on stilts, (some accessible to wheelchairs), fully equipped, with 2 single beds, a fridge, overhead fan and small veranda. You have a choice of with or without river view. Please confirm when booking.
- 58 x 2 bed units, (one accessible to wheelchairs), equipped with ablutions (most with showers, but one with a bath), fridge and with air-conditioning. There are no cooking utensils, crockery or cutlery, but a communal kitchen with scullery and electric stoves is available. You have a choice of with or without perimeter view. Please confirm when booking.
- 2 x 3-bed units, fully equipped with en-suite bathroom (1 with shower and one with a bath), kitchenette, fridge and with air-conditioning.
- 2 x 5-bed units (2 separate bedrooms, one with 2 single beds and one with 3 single beds), fully equipped with a kitchenette and en-suite bathrooms. Located in budget accommodation area of camp, but with private braai area.
- This is a large luxury unit in prime position, with river view. It is well-equipped with kitchen, multiple bedrooms and bathrooms. Limited channel DSTV television is provided. (No microwave oven)
- Keartland: Sleeps 6, with 3 bedrooms, (2 beds in each room)