Berg en Dal Camp
Berg-en-Dal Camp ("mountain and dale") is a more modern camp within Kruger that has been designed to very environmentally friendly and literally built into its immediate environment. Situated in the rugged Malalane Mountain range in the lower South West corner, the camp attracts a variety of wildlife particularly in the winter periods. Nestled on the southern bank of the seasonal Matjulu river, Berg-en-Dal camp offers visitors a seeting like no other in the Park. The mountainous terrain exposes large granite boulders and like Pretoriuskop is also sourveld.
Grassy crests and slopes are then backed up by broad-leaf vegetation before the slopes run into more fertile valleys. This evident flow of vegetation is attractive many different species as a result of the changing savanna conditions.
When the camp itself was built, great care was taken to incorporate the buildings into the surrounds without causing any damage. As a result the camp offers guests a dense woody canopy with great birding opportunities and wide variety of habitat specific flora.
Key Mammal species in this area include :
Key Bird species in this area include :
- Little Sparrowhawk
- Grey-headed Kingfisher
- Green Pigeons
- Crested Barbet
- Golden-tailed Woodpecker
The Camp Accommodation :
- 72 x tent or caravan sites, with power point. Communal ablutions and cooking facilities (24-hour boiling water, electric hotplates and washing up facilities). Braai facilities. Maximum of 6 persons per site.
- 69 x 3-bed units, equipped with en-suite bathrooms (showers, no baths) and air-conditioning. Kitchenettes have hotplates and sinks and you have a choice of with or without perimeter view. Please confirm when booking.
- 23 x 6 bed units, (two of which are accessible to wheelchairs) with 2 rooms (1 double bed, 2 single beds and 2 bunk beds in lounge) with separate shower, toilet and bath. Units equipped with open plan kitchen/dining room/lounge and bedrooms are air-conditioned.
- These are large luxury units in prime positions in the camp. There are well-equipped kitchens (with microwave ovens), multiple bedrooms and bathrooms. Fully air-conditioned. Limited channel DSTV televisions are provided.
- J Le Roux: Sleeps 6, with 3 bedrooms (1 double bed, 2 rooms with single beds)
- Rhino: Sleeps 8, with 4 bedrooms (2 double beds, 2 rooms with 2 single beds)