The name of this camp is derived from the Tsonga word Xingwedzi as a reference to the sound made by two metal objects rubbering against each other. Situated along the Shingwedzi river the camp is also known as the "circle of iron" which is illustrated in the original camp structure with circular bungalow arrangements. The camp offers stunning views of the river and surrounding alluvial flood plains with some of the biggest old tuckers in the Park found in the area. The relationship between the Camp and Elephants has been long standing with early visitors encountering them regularly in the the Camp. Many of the original Magnificent Seven Tuskers spent long periods around Shingwedzi.
The Camp is adorned with large clusters of Impala Lily and tall Mopane. The river is seasonal and forms part of catchment which results in occasional flooding. Shingwedzi in recent years had had to be evacuated 3 times due to heavy flooding with significant damage resulting in new rebuilt infrastructure. The flooding leaves fertile soils which contributes to the wide bio-diversity of savanna.
Key Mammal species in this area include :
- Sharpes Grysbok
Key Bird species in this area include :
- African Fish Eagle
- Collard Palm Thrush
- Southern Ground Hornbill
- Woodland Kingfisher
- African Spoonbill
The Camp Accommodation :
- 50 x tent or caravan sites, with power point and rotating braai (barbeque) grids. Communal ablutions and cooking facilities (24-hour boiling water, electric hotplates and washing up facilities). Maximum of 6 persons per site.
- 12 x 3-bed rustic units with communal ablution facilities. There are no cooking utensils, crockery or cutlery, but a communal kitchen with scullery and electric hotplate stoves is available. A small fridge can be found on the little veranda. There is no air-conditioning.
- 14 x 2-bed units with communal kitchen. Bungalows are equipped with ablutions (most with showers, but some with baths), toilet and wash basin. All bungalows have air-conditioning. A limited number of fully equipped utensil boxes (cutlery, crockery, glasses and frying pan) are available for hire. Contact reception upon check-in.
- 22 x 2-bed modern units (one room with 2 single beds). Bungalows each have an open air kitchen with cooker top, combined fridge/freezer and fully equipped with cutlery, crockery and utensils. All units have air conditioning.
- 28 x 3-bed units (1 room with 3 single beds and 1 fold-down bed) with kitchens. Bungalows are equipped with toilet, a shower and wash basin. All bungalows are equipped with air-conditioning.
- 2 x double bed units . Equipped with en-suite bathroom containing shower, toilet and wash basin. Bungalows each have an open-air kitchen with cooker top, microwave, combined fridge/freezer and are fully equipped with cutlery, crockery and utensils. Both bungalows are equipped with air-conditioning.
- 1 x 4-bed unit, (1 room with double bed and 1 with 2 single beds), fully equipped with 2 bathrooms, (1 en-suite) kitchen and air-conditioning. The open air kitchen has a cooker plate, dining room/lounge and outside braai facility, fridge/freezer combination, sink, cooking utensils, crockery and cutlery. The cottage is equipped with a microwave oven.
- This is a large luxury unit in prime position with a riverside view. It is well–equipped with kitchen (with microwave oven), 3 bedrooms and bathrooms. Limited channel DSTV television is provided. There are also communal braai (barbecue) facilities.
- Rentmeester: Sleeps 8, with 3 bedrooms, (2 bedrooms with double bed, 1 bedroom with 2 single beds and a double sleeper couch in the lounge).