Satara Camp is one of our personal favourites, its location is excellent for game viewing as well as the open grasslands and convenient position to head north. Set in prime open grassland savanna, the combination of sweet grass, Knob-thorn and Marula contribute to a classic open plain safari experience. With fertile plains that attract many grazers, its no wonder that the area has the highest density of Lion in the Kruger. Being the second largest camp in the Park accommodation can sometimes be challenging but thats because its known for its amazing game viewing.
As the story goes, when the park was being surveyed in the late 19th century, the surveyor had asked his Hindi assist which portion of land it was that they were considering at the time, to which she responded Satrah. The surveyor looking puzzled asked her what she meant to which she then answered "17, farm number 17". The name Satrah was then given to the Camp to which it is still known but maintains the misspelled word Satara.
Key Mammal species in this area include :
Key Bird species in this area include :
- Temminks Courser
- Southern Ground Hornbill
- Kori Bustard
- Namaqua Dove
- Harlequin Quial
The Camp Accommodation :
- 100 x tent or caravan sites, with power point. Communal ablutions and cooking facilities. (24-hour boiling water, electric hotplates and washing up facilities) Maximum of 6 persons per site.
- 75 x 2 or 3-bed units with communal kitchen. Bungalows are equipped with ablutions comprising of a shower, WC and wash basin. All bungalows have air-conditioning. A limited number of fully equipped utensil boxes (cutlery crockery, glasses and frying pan) are available for hire. Contact reception upon check-in.
57 x 2 or 3-bed units with kitchens. Bungalows are equipped with ablutions comprising of a shower, WC and wash basin. All bungalows are equipped with air-conditioning.
- 1 x luxury bungalow with 2 beds and one sleeper couch. Equipped with en-suite bathroom (shower, WC and wash basin), kitchen and air-conditioning. The open air kitchen has a cooker plate and microwave oven and outside braai (barbeque) facility, fridge/freezer combination, sink, cooking utensils, crockery and cutlery.
- 19 x 2 bedded bungalows situated on the perimeter fence with a view of the veld which allows you to listen to the sounds of the wild in your bed. Equipped with en-suite bathroom containing shower, WC and wash basin. Bungalows each have an open air kitchen with cooker top, combined fridge/freezer and fully equipped with cutlery, crockery and utensils.
- 1 x 5-bed and 9 x 6-bed units with well equipped kitchens and two bedrooms with 3 beds each (in the case of the 6 bed units). Both bedrooms have a bathroom en-suite (bath, WC and washbasin). The kitchen has a gas stove (with oven), fridge/freezer combination, sink, cooking utensils, crockery and cutlery.
- These are large luxury units in prime positions inside the camp. There are well-equipped kitchens (with microwave ovens) and multiple bedrooms and bathrooms. Limited channel DSTV televisions are provided.
- Wells: Sleeps 6, with 3 bedrooms (2 single beds in each room)
- Stanley: Sleeps 9, with 3 bedrooms (3 single beds in each room)
- Frankel: Sleeps 10, with 5 bedrooms (2 single beds in each room)