Punda Maria Camp
The most Northern camp in the Park was established from a rangers outpost as far back as 1919 when JJ Coetser was appointed to look after the region. His mission was to bring a stop to the Ivory poaching and curb hunting activity. The first temporary camp was established on the S58 before setting up todays camp. The camp was named after his wife Maria but for many years was was thought to be an error as the name for a Zebra in Swahili is Punda Millia so there as great confusion resulting in the Camp changing names. Only later on in 1981 did his family members make representation of the name which resulted in the camp being changed back to Punda Maria. It is the only camp where much of the legacy has been maintained and many of the original bungalows are still in use today.
Punda Maria is a camp that takes you back 50 years and has an atmosphere of time travel. A favourite for the true Kruger Aficionados, Punda Maria offers a rich history with incredible bio-diversity. With arguably the best birding on offer there are a variety of species you just wont see anywhere else in the park. Same applies to Flora as the region sits on sandstone and Punda Maria is know as the flower garden of the Park.
Key Mammal species in this area include :
- Sharpes Grysbok
Key Bird species in this area include :
- Eastern Nicator
- Fairy Flycatcher
- Grey-headed Parrot
- Pennant-winged Nightjar
The Camp Accommodation :
- 50 x tent or caravan sites, with or without power point and rotating braai grids. Communal ablutions and cooking facilities (24-hour boiling water, electric hotplates and washing up facilities). Maximum of 6 persons per site.
- 7 x 2-bed permanent furnished canvas tents on stilts, fully equipped, with shower, fridge, cooking and braai facilities.
- 18 x 2-bed units, equipped with en-suite ablutions (all with showers), air-conditioning and communal braai area. There are no cooking utensils, crockery or cutlery, but a communal kitchen with scullery and electrical hotplate stoves is available.
- 4 x 3-bed units, equipped with en-suite ablutions (all with showers) and air-conditioning. All have sinks and hotplates with kitchenette and communal braai (barbeque) area.
- 2 x 6 bed units, with 3 en-suite bedrooms (2 bedrooms each with 2 single beds and 1 bedroom with a double bed). Equipped with open plan kitchen/dining/bar area and living room with (limited channel) DSTV. One of the rooms is upstairs (loft bedroom with patio). It also has a patio/braai area on the bottom floor.